Snooker star Jimmy White says he is “gutted” after he lost most of his possessions in a fire at his Surrey home.

The former Masters and UK Championship winner posted a picture on Twitter of smoke at the Epsom building where he has a flat.

He wrote “everything gone” after the blaze but said his snooker cue was fortunately in his car.

White, 54, added that “most importantly” no one was injured.

Despite the damage to his apartment, the six-time World Championship finalist was thought to be travelling to Germany to play in the country’s masters tournament this week.


Fire
Image Caption:
Kevin Kelly posted his image of the scene. Pic: @kevkel147

Long-time friend Kevin Kelly posted a picture of a window frame hanging down from the third-room residence with fire engines at the scene.

He wrote: “Shocking scenes in Alexandra road Epsom this morning”, adding “Jimmys flat on fire”.

Figures from the world of snooker and further afield have sent messages of support to White.

Fellow snooker professional Mike Dunn said on Twitter: “really awful news pal, main thing is you and anyone else is ok”

One of the sport’s referees Jan Verhaas posted: “sorry to hear mate. Glad u ok”.

Comedian Mark Watson added: “That’s awful mate. Hope stuff can be replaced.”


Jimmy White
Image Caption:
Snooker player White in action in 2015

Fire chief Steve Schooling said the alarm was raised by a fellow resident.

“When the first crews got there they had to break the door down,” Mr Schooling said.

“We were able to get it quickly under control and the remainder of the incident was damping things down.”

Asked about the extent of the fire, he added it was “significant” and that efforts were continuing to establish the cause.

No one was in the flat at the time of the fire.