The parents of Charlie Gard have been given more time before their baby son’s life support machine is turned off.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates had wanted 10-month-old Charlie, who suffers from a rare genetic condition and has brain damage, to receive a therapy trial in the US but specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital said the treatment was experimental and would not help him.
The couple said they had been told Charlie’s life support would be switched off on Friday, but the hospital confirmed they are devising plans for the little boy’s care to give his family more time with him.
A hospital spokeswoman said: “Together with Charlie’s parents we are putting plans in place for his care, and to give them more time together as a family.
“We would ask you to give the family and our staff some space and privacy at this distressing time.”
The couple, who are in their 30s and from Bedfront, west London, had asked European court judges in Strasbourg to consider their claim after judges in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in London ruled in favour of Great Ormond Street doctors but the European Court of Human Rights refused to intervene.
The couple have said they feel let down and have been denied their final wish to take Charlie home to die.
In a video posted on YouTube on Thursday, they wrote: “We are utterly heartbroken spending our last precious hours with our baby boy.
“We’re not allowed to choose if our son lives and we’re not allowed to choose when or where Charlie dies.
“We, and most importantly Charlie, have been massively let down throughout this whole process.”
The family received donations totalling more than £1.3m to take Charlie to the US for therapy.
The family also had support from campaigners on social media with hashtags including #charliesfight #Fight4Charlie and #LetCharlieGoHome.
His parents said Charlie would die “knowing that he was loved by thousands”, adding “thank you to everyone for all your support!”