TV and radio presenter Richard Bacon is “improving all the time” in intensive care after being placed in a medically induced coma.
The 42-year-old broadcaster fell ill while travelling to the UK from the US, where he now lives, and was taken off a plane in a wheelchair.
His spokesman said the broadcaster “remains in a medically induced coma after falling ill last week but he is improving all the time”.
“Everyone is hopeful that he will recover quickly thanks to the incredible NHS treatment he is receiving,” he said.
“This has been very difficult for everyone who loves Richard, all of whom appreciate the many messages of support which have been received.”
Bacon’s mother Christine told the Mansfield Chad her son was having “a lot of oxygen ventilation” and “lots of antibiotics”.
“They kept him like that for a week and we hadn’t left his side, at one point we really felt we might lose him,” she said.
“It was such a relief when he opened his eyes, although he is not responding to us very well yet we can see that he is getting better.”
She added: “The doctors have said that he is very distressed and confused after being in a coma for a week… and that we need to keep talking to him and reminding him of where he is.
“There’s a long way to go yet, but this is a very positive step and it has eased my mind.”
As many people know, my son @richardpbacon has been in a medically induced coma in intensive care for a week but he’s young, he’s fit and the NHS have been brilliant, and I’m sure he’ll come through this. Been very worrying. We’ve received so many lovely messages👏
— Christine Bacon (@xtinebacon) July 13, 2018
Ms Bacon also thanked the NHS and people for their messages of support on Twitter.
“As many people know, my son Richard Bacon has been in a medically induced coma in intensive care for a week but he’s young, he’s fit and the NHS have been brilliant, and I’m sure he’ll come through this,” she wrote.
“Been very worrying. We’ve received so many lovely messages.”
The comments come after the former Blue Peter presenter told his followers online last week that he was in hospital on the NHS’s 70th birthday. “I don’t like to miss a party,” he joked.
Posting a photo of himself in a hospital bed, he added: “Thank God I got ill in Britain (actually on the way to Britain, was taken off the plane in a wheelchair).
“F*** all the ideology driven politicians who’ve messed up America’s healthcare system. Viva the NHS. Happy 70th.”
He was believed to have fallen ill with pneumonia.
However on Thursday, his sister Juliet said Bacon was in an induced coma in an Instagram post.
“This is my seventh day visiting my brother who’s been in an induced coma since last Thursday, just so grateful to the NHS x,” she wrote.
Celebrities have been sending the TV star messages of support online.
“Sending magical powers to Richard Bacon x,” wrote Keith Lemon. Presenter Jeremy Vine said: “Thinking of my friend Richard Bacon and his family at this frightening time.”
Comedy duo Dick and Dom added: “All our love and strength to Richard Bacon X.”