Two takeaway bosses have been jailed for the manslaughter of a teenager who suffered a fatal allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
Nut allergy sufferer Megan Lee had an immediate allergic reaction after eating food from the Royal Spice takeaway in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire on 30 December 2016.
The 15-year-old died two days later after suffering irreversible brain damage from a later asthma attack.
The restaurant’s bosses, Mohammed Abdul Kuddus, 40, and Harun Rashid, 38, were found guilty of manslaughter by gross negligence at Manchester Crown Court.
Rashid has been jailed for three years and Kuddus for two.
Kuddus received an additional eight-month sentence, to run concurrently, for two food safety offences.
Rashid was given 10 months in custody, also to run concurrently, for the same offences.
Rashid was also found guilty of failing to discharge a general duty of employers and another count of failing to put in place, implement and maintain a permanent procedure in contravention of European Union food safety regulations.
Kuddus had already pleaded guilty to those two charges.
The court heard that Megan’s friend ordered the meal through the Just Eat website and wrote “prawns, nuts” in the comments and notes section.
But the meal – which included an onion bhaji, a seekh kebab and a Peshwari naan – was later found to have the “widespread presence” of peanut protein.
Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, said her death was a “disaster waiting to happen”.
There was a “litany of failings” in the kitchen including poor hygiene and no records of ingredients kept, it was alleged.
The takeaway restaurant has since reopened under new ownership.