Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield will not be giving evidence at his trial for gross negligence manslaughter.

At the opening of his defence case, barrister Benjamin Myers QC told the jury that he would not be calling his client to the witness box.

He said: “We turn to our case. We don’t call Mr Duckenfield to give evidence.”

The 74-year-old retired chief superintendent did give evidence in 2015 to new inquests into the 96 football fans who died at the Sheffield stadium on 15 April 1989.

Earlier in the current trial the jury heard extracts from the inquests in which the defendant accepted that his own “professional failings” led to the deaths.

Jurors were told today that one of the two charges facing former Sheffield Wednesday secretary Graham Mackrell would be dropped.

He was the football club’s safety officer at the time of the disaster. He had been accused of contravening the safety certificate.

More from Hillsborough

But prosecutor Richard Matthews QC said: “The Crown at the close of its case accepts that there is insufficient evidence upon which Mr Mackrell can be convicted on count two.”

Mackrell, 69, denies one remaining charge in relation to the Heath and Safety at Work Act.

David Duckenfield denies the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 football supporters who died at the FA cup semi-final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Under the law at the time he cannot be prosecuted in connection with victim Tony Bland because he died more than a year and a day after the disaster.

The trial continues.