The Jeremy Kyle Show has been permanently cancelled after a guest reportedly took his own life.

ITV made the announcement this morning, confirming the show would not return following the death of Steve Dymond.

A source told Sky News that staff at the team’s office in Salford were “in floods of tears” after hearing the news, saying: “It’s awful up there.”

In a statement, chief executive Carolyn McCall said: “Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

“The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.

Advertisement

Steve Dymond - Jeremy Kyle
Image:
Guest Steve Dymond died after recording the show

“Everyone at ITV’s thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.”

The broadcaster said it would continue to work with Kyle, who is yet to comment, on other projects.

More from Jeremy Kyle

The confrontational talk show was taken off air and suspended on Monday after news of Mr Dymond’s death emerged.

The 63-year-old’s body was found at an address in Grafton St, Portsmouth, on 9 May, a week after recording the show.

Jeremy Kyle is pictured arriving home in Windsor
Image:
Kyle was pictured outside his home in Windsor on Tuesday

During the episode, which has not been aired and is now under review by ITV, he had taken a lie detector test to convince fiancee Jane Callaghan he had not been unfaithful, but was told he had failed.

It emerged on Tuesday that Mr Dymond had been the subject of an arrest warrant after he failed to attend a court hearing for non-payment of a fine.

Police have said his death is not being treated as suspicious.

Following a huge public outcry, MPs were due to discuss the case today and Theresa May’s spokesman has described the incident as “deeply concerning”.

“Broadcasters and production companies have a responsibility for the mental health and wellbeing of participants and viewers of their programmes,” the prime minister’s spokesman said.

“We are clear they must have appropriate levels of support in place.”

Speaking on Sky News’ All Out Politics show, shadow mental health minister Barbara Keeley said it was “clearly” the right decision to cancel the programme and that “serious questions” had to be asked.

Damian Collins, chairman of the digital, culture, media and sport committee, told Sky News there needed to be a “proper review of what went wrong” and of duty of care for participants of reality TV shows “in general”.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Ofcom has described Mr Dymond’s death as “a very distressing case”.

A spokesman for the broadcasting watchdog said: “Although we can only assess content that has been broadcast, we are discussing this programme with ITV as a priority to understand what took place.”

Following Mr Dymond’s death, ITV issued a statement about the support in place for guests on the programme.

“Prior to the show a comprehensive assessment is carried out by the guest welfare team on all potential contributors,” it said.

“The guests are interviewed by guest welfare face-to-face at studios and prior to filming.

“Throughout filming, the participants are supported by the guest welfare team.

“After filming has ended, all guests are seen by a member of the guest welfare team.”